Sunday, July 6, 1997

Can I Break Free?



Want to get drunk. No more thunking.
No more depressing, and distressing,
And messing around -- I'm such a clown.
What does it all mean? That I'm cruel & mean?

That my mirror shines like fire;
And my Purpose, my Aspire -
To free all creatures including me -
Is really bullshit and baloney?

When is it my turn to be held?
My turn to love and meld?
"Seems like I've done a lot of growing.
Seems many seeds I have been sowing.

Then why is this happening? Is it really tapping in-
To the Source of Love? Where is the dove to hover
O'er me and support me? Does Father abandon me?
Are mind and boxes devouring foxes?

To pick me apart, so love cannot start?
Does Heart fade away, when Mind gets in way?
Is anger and fear,
crushing this Seer?

So blinded with rage, I go back in the cage
And scream "Let me out!" Kick the bars & shout.
And all of the time, I cannot find
the open cage door, through my raging roar.

All the time, it was open. It was me who I penned.
And my holding on tight, to the bars showed my fright
To fly out those doors;
To some, unknown shores.

The frightening cage, the object of rage
And all of my hate, my appalling fate
Of being locked in, from their labeled sins
Was really my own; fenced-in self, disowned.

Not allowed to come home, not even just to phone
Loved ones for their sound, for fear of being bound
By any more chains,
Of any more shame.

These words may be nice, but can't quite suffice
To describe my heart's pain, sick from the cold rain.
I want to explain.
Whisper softly. Exclaim.

But my sadness exceeds, my voice and my need
To make any difference. And the strength of my fence
Kills the strongest bonds, and ties down my new wings.
How can I break free? Open door, where's the key?


Can I Break Free?
by Loveson G. Flower
7/6/97
"A Cage is no place for Wildlife!" Photo from www.billybear4kids.com/animal/squirrel/no-cage